Are You Missing Teeth?
Dental implants are a revolutionary permanent solution that can transform your smile’s look, feel, and overall health. At Brooklyn Smiles in Brooklyn, NY, we offer full bridge replacements (all on 4 dental implants) or single dental implants to accommodate patients with varying needs.
Dr. Gary Herskovits and Dr. Amy Herskovits are highly trained board-certified professionals in the field of Implant Dentistry and Oral Rehabilitation. Their skills, experience, and knowledge are all you need to have comprehensive dental implant treatment.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are designed to be permanent replacements for your missing teeth. They are considered the ideal replacement option for missing teeth, as they are designed to look, feel, and function like your natural teeth. They are the very best means of supporting crowns and dentures, and they also halt the loss of jawbone mass that occurs in the absence of tooth roots. When properly cared for with good oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist, they can last a lifetime. Dental implants may be used to replace a single tooth, several teeth, or a complete arch of teeth depending on your needs. Implants consist of two main parts – the implant post and the implant restoration.
The implant post is a small screw made of titanium or another biocompatible material. It is surgically inserted into your jawbone to replace your tooth roots, and it performs the same functions as your tooth root in ensuring that your teeth remain stable in your mouth and stimulating your jawbone to keep your supporting bone tissue healthy.
An implant restoration replaces the visible portions of the tooth, and it is designed to blend in with your smile to give you a beautiful result as well as restore full oral function. Your implant restoration may be a dental crown, a dental bridge, or a complete or partial denture depending on the number of teeth you are replacing.
Almost everyone is a candidate for dental implants, and as long as your mouth is healthy, you should be able to receive an implant without difficulty. Our dentists will examine your teeth and mouth thoroughly to ensure that implants are a good option for you. Adequate bone mass is also crucial to this process. If you have waited a long time to replace missing teeth, the jawbone may have begun to atrophy, or shrink. In this case, our dentists may need to perform a bone graft, a process of augmenting the jaw with donor tissue, before implant surgery can commence. Other pre-existing conditions, such as tooth decay or periodontal disease, will require treatment as well before you can benefit from implant dentistry.
For more information about implant dentistry and to schedule a consultation with our dentists, contact our office today.
What are the Benefits of Dental Implants?
Dental implants are the gold standard for replacing missing teeth. Anyone missing teeth understands that they sacrifice confidence and the ability to smile and laugh without covering their mouths in shame. The most obvious of benefits is the ability for greater enjoyment of life. But the benefits go far beyond this:
- Improved appearance and overall self-esteem: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth because they permanently fuse with the bone. They give you back your smile and help you feel confident in yourself.
- Improved speech: With dentures, the teeth can slip and slide in the mouth, causing slurring or mumbling. With dental implants, you speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Improved comfort and convenience: Because they become part of you, there is no more embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures or the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Easier eating: Sliding dentures can make chewing especially difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods without pain. Teeth are supported by stable and robust implant posts that have fused with your jawbone.
- Improved oral health: Dental implants don’t require attachment to other teeth, as a tooth-supported bridge does. Because nearby teeth don’t support the implant, your original teeth are left intact, improving long-term oral health.
- Durability: Implants are long-lasting and durable. With proper care, they will last many years. Some implants can last a lifetime.
- Stopping bone loss: A natural tooth root provides continual stimulation to the bone surrounding it through force whenever you bite down or chew with that tooth. If the tooth is absent, this stimulation is lost, and the bone recedes. By replacing your tooth root with a dental implant post, stimulation is restored to your jawbone, halting further bone loss.
- Healthy remaining natural teeth: Restoring missing teeth with dental implants protects your remaining teeth by preventing them from moving out of position and maintaining your natural bite.
Dr. Gary Herskovits and Dr. Amy Herskovits provide dental implants to replace your missing teeth, and many times, we can even replace a tooth in about an hour. Our office uses the latest treatments and technologies in implant design to fully replace your teeth and restore your smile and oral health. We invite you to call us at 718-530-0999 to learn more about dental implants in Brooklyn, New York, and schedule a consultation with our skilled dentists and team.