If you suffer from bad breath, or halitosis, it can dramatically affect your self-confidence and even your personal interactions. In addition, chronic halitosis may indicate an underlying health condition. Dr. Gary Herskovits is a respected authority on breath treatment. Located in Brooklyn, New York, he is internationally renowned, and has treated patients from all over the world. He has also presented numerous lectures on the subject of halitosis treatment. To identify the cause of your bad breath, Dr. Herskovits will conduct a complete consultation and exam. Then he can accurately determine the right treatment for you. If your bad breath is the result of a systemic condition, he will work with your general physician to provide comprehensive care.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Bad breath can arise for many different reasons. Dr. Herskovits will consider your oral health, diet, lifestyle, and systemic wellness to determine the reason for your halitosis. Common causes include:
- Often, bad breath is a symptom of periodontal disease. When oral bacteria build up in your mouth, they can produce a chronic odor. Other symptoms can include gum inflammation and tooth loss.
- Similarly, a dental infection could cause bad breath. If you have an infected tooth, bacteria will be trapped inside the inner chamber and the root canals.
- Your diet could also lead to bad breath, even if you brush and floss after eating. When you frequently eat odorous foods, like onions and garlic, food particles will enter your blood stream, and you will exhale them when you breathe.
- In some cases, other medical conditions could cause bad breath. For example, sinus infections and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can lead to halitosis. In rare cases, your odorous breath could be a symptom of a life-threatening condition, such as cancer, liver failure, or a metabolic disorder.
Dr. Herskovits will consider your oral health, diet, lifestyle, and systemic wellness to determine the reason for your halitosis.
Effective Halitosis Treatments
Though mouth washes can partially conceal bad breath, they will not really address the problem. For lasting results, Dr. Herskovits will treat the fundamental cause of your halitosis. In many cases, he will combine treatments for truly effective care:
- Improved dental hygiene: Changing your hygiene can eliminate the bacteria responsible for bad breath. We can show you the best ways to brush and floss. We can also recommend certain products that may help to keep bacteria at bay.
- Dietary changes: We can help you pinpoint the foods that may be contributing to your bad breath.
- Scaling and root planing: If gum disease is to blame, scaling and root planing may be the most effective option. During this type of periodontal treatment, Dr. Herskovits or your hygienist will clear the pockets of bacteria responsible for halitosis and inflammation.
- Root canal therapy: Root canal therapy is usually the most effective treatment for dental infection. Not only will it eliminate bad odors, but it can also save the remaining portion of your tooth and prevent bacteria from spreading to your other teeth.
- Other medical care: If Dr. Herskovits believes that your bad breath is due to another medical condition, he can refer you to a specialist for treatment.
The Importance of Treating Bad Breath
Dr. Herskovits’ breath treatment can have a tremendous impact on your overall quality of life. First, your fresh, clean breath will help you to feel much more confident. You may even feel more comfortable in social settings. Additionally, you will not have to worry about your breath or deal with the inconvenience of carrying mints, gums, and other odor-masking products. Finally, in rare cases, bad breath treatment could lead to a potentially life-saving diagnosis.
Contact Us to Eliminate Your Halitosis
We can help to end the embarrassment of chronic bad breath. Contact our office to learn what is causing your halitosis and to benefit from Dr. Herskovits’ expert care.