Dr. Gary Herskovits emphasizes patient comfort and satisfaction, and he understands that some patients feel apprehensive about going to the dentist. Oftentimes, this hesitation prevents patients from receiving the vital dental care they need. At Brooklyn Smile in Brooklyn, NY, we offer sedation dentistry to help patients achieve comfortable and relaxing dental experiences. We provide both nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation to meet the unique needs of our patients. If you struggle with dental anxiety, or have a health condition that makes sitting still challenging, sedation can help put you at ease during treatment.
Why is Sedation Dentistry Important?
Studies show that over 30 million people in the United States struggle with dental anxiety and phobia. This type of debilitating fear can cause patients to avoid routine dental visits altogether. Over time, this can lead to:
- Tooth decay
- Bad breath
- Tooth loss
- Gum disease
- Poor nutrition
- Low self-confidence
- Poor physical health
Regular checkups to your dentist not only impact the appearance of your smile but also your oral health and general wellbeing.
Are You a Candidate?
- Dental anxiety or phobia
- A fear of needles
- Sensitive teeth and gums
- Trouble relaxing or sitting still for long periods
- A health condition such as Cerebral Palsy or Parkinson's Disease that makes sitting still difficult
During your appointment, Dr. Herskovits can perform a thorough evaluation to help determine which form of sedation is right for you.
Types of Sedation
Before your procedure, Dr. Herskovits will numb the area being treated with a local anesthetic for optimal comfort. He can then provide one of two types of sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide: Also referred to as “laughing gas,” this form of sedation is administered using a small mask that rests comfortably over your nose. You will breathe a combination of nitrous oxide and oxygen, and the strength can be adjusted to ensure your comfort. This form of sedation can help you achieve a steady state of relaxation throughout the entire procedure. However, our team will still be able to communicate with you during treatment. Nitrous oxide is safe for both children and adults, and the effects generally wear off quickly.
- Oral Sedation: Before your procedure, Dr. Herskovits will prescribe medication, such as Valium or Halcion® for you to take the night before or day of the procedure. The exact strength of medication will depend on your level of anxiety and the length of procedure. For stronger sedation, Dr. Herskovits can also combine oral sedation with nitrous oxide. Under this form of sedation, you should feel heavily relaxed, but you should still be able to communicate with the doctor. The after effects generally last up to 24 hours.
To ensure your safety, one of our skilled technicians will continually monitor your vitals throughout the procedure.
Benefits of Sedation
Patients who receive sedation as part of their dental care are able to:
- Receive essential dental procedures in a relaxing, comfortable environment
- Minimize fear and anxiety
- Receive stress-free, comprehensive care
If you are going to be receiving sedation, you will need a friend or loved one to drive you to and from the procedure.
Receive The Care You Need
Do not let fear keep you from receiving the dental care that you need. Using sedation dentistry, Dr. Herskovits can calm your nerves during any procedure. Contact us online or call us at (718) 745-3456 to schedule your consultation.