Tooth loss can make eating, speaking, and smiling very difficult. If you are dealing with missing teeth, you may benefit from dentures, which can improve dental function and aesthetics. Dr. Gary Herskovits offers multiple types of dentures at his Brooklyn, NY, practice. In addition to full and partial dentures, you can also choose between traditional and implant-supported restorations. Dr. Herskovits will carefully design your quality prosthesis to match your natural smile and the contours of your face. Contact Brooklyn Smile to learn more.
Types of Dentures
When you come to our office, we will thoroughly explain your denture options. These selections include:
- Traditional full dentures: This removable restoration can replace a full dental arch. It will be made with a plastic base, which is custom matched to the color of your gums. The base will fit over your gums and palate, relying on suction for support. You may also use adhesives for further stability.
- Traditional partial dentures: A partial denture will fill in a large gap left by multiple missing teeth. It is made of the same materials as a full denture. Partials have small metal clasps to use neighboring teeth for support, and you can also wear adhesives for extra stability.
- Implant-supported dentures: Implant-supported dentures can be both full or partial restorations, and will provide unrivaled stability and durability. Dental implants are surgically placed in your jaw, and the bone will fuse with the posts, making them a permanent base for your prosthesis. Typically, an implant-supported full denture requires four to six posts per dental arch, while partials can be upheld by as few as two implants.
The Dentures Process
As with any restorative treatment, we will begin with a thorough consultation to examine your remaining teeth and jawbone health. Because bone recession can affect your candidacy for implants, we will take x-rays and scans of your jaw as well. During your appointment, Dr. Herskovits will also explain your denture options, taking into consideration your cosmetic goals and budget.
Dr. Herskovits can then design your custom restoration. He will take impressions of your gums and remaining teeth, as well as photos of your smile. He will also consider the balance of your bite. Then he will send all relevant information to our advanced dental lab. In just a few weeks, you will receive your realistic denture.
If you receive an implant-supported denture, the process will be lengthier. After your implant surgery, you will typically need to wait four to six months for your jawbone to heal. During this time you can wear a temporary prosthesis. After you have recovered, you can receive your new, permanent restoration.
The Benefits of Dentures
Dentures offer many practical and cosmetic benefits:
- You can enjoy improved dental function, and you will be able to eat and speak more normally.
- Dentures can fill gaps in your smile, and keep your remaining teeth from shifting out of place.
- Your restoration will support your lips and cheeks, giving your facial features their usual volume.
- Your restored smile will enhance your appearance and give you a greater sense of self-confidence.
- If you receive implant-supported dentures, the implant posts prevent jawbone recession, and provide superior support, ensuring dentures will not slip or shift.
Find the Right Type of Dentures for You
Our office is dedicated to restoring our patients' smiles with high-quality, customized restorations. To learn more about dentures, contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Herskovits.